Well I’ve made it through the seventh week of J2! Which means I’m approximately 43% finished with this semester. Whoop!
I’m going to bullet point this update so that it doesn’t end up being too long:
- I made an 86 on my first Women’s Health test last week. Not bad, especially considering I studied maybe one full day.
- I was in the Women’s ER at Parkland this week for OB clinical. It was such an awesome experience. According to the nurses it’s not quite as crazy as Parkland’s main ER, but it did open my eyes up to the possibility of working in the ER and I have to say I can truly see myself enjoying it.
- In the above-mentioned Women’s ER, I got to start my first IV!! It wasn’t a complete IV start since I hit a valve and the nurse had to re-start the IV in the wrist (the woman was severely dehydrated) – however I did get blood return and was actually able to draw blood from the vein for labs so I still consider it an IV start. It is just really difficult for me to coordinate my hand movements as I put in an IV…I never thought it would be so hard! It definitely requires hand dexterity.
- I know I haven’t written anything about it yet, but my Adult 1 clinicals are going well. I am taking care of two patients this semester every week, and while it’s a bit more of a challenge as far as time management, I’m still not able to practice within the full scope of a nurse so I find myself with a lot of down time on my hands. I end up talking to my patients quite a bit which is awesome, but I’m really wanting to get some more skills experiences! Next week though I shadow in the OR so I’m pretty excited about that.
- I am running for the presidential position of my nursing student association at TWU, and because I am running uncontested, I have unofficially gotten the position! It will be official on the 21st; I’m super thrilled about it. 😀
- The Mayo Clinic Summer III summer externship applications open on the 15th and I will definitely be applying! I’m afraid to get my hopes up for the job but at the same time I’m REALLY REALLY hoping that I’m one of the 100 chosen. I will have to write a couple of really great essays!!
- I will also be applying for the UTSW summer externship and the VA Residency externship for next summer as well. If you couldn’t tell, I really want a summer nursing externship! I know they are great opportunities to get much more experience and I want to do everything possible to have an edge up before I graduate as a new nurse.
- I have my second Adult 1 test on Wednesday…so I guess it’s time to start studying. Especially since I work on Monday so there’s one less day that I have. We’re covering Diabetes, Respiratory, and Neuro though so I’m not feeling tooooo worried. Hopefully that doesn’t come back to bite me!